Friday, July 12, 2013

Fairy Garden and Gnome Home

Giant and I have been working on some smaller projects in the garden-mine is a fairy garden...
We stacked a bee hive deep and two supers...

I sprinkled some pea gravel mixed with charcoal for drainage and to keep any water that may stand in the bottom from getting sour...

water the soil really well and make sure there's no dry spots before you plant...

I got two small plants specifically designed for fairy gardens-an angel vine and a cigar plant...

and some other plans from the annual and perennial sections-a mount atlas daisy, purple alyssum, pink chintz thyme, and johnny jump-ups...

when you plant your plants, leave the rootballs together instead of pulling them apart so the plants will stay small longer...

plant your flowers in your container...

I added some moss on top after I was done planting to finish it and to help keep the moisture in...
Giant bought me this little butterfly fairy for my birthday-she looks perfect underneath the broken piece of antler I'm using for an arch-the angel vine is twined around the antler...


We bought this little bee weather vane at the apiary store to put on our main hive, but we never got around to putting it up...I'm glad, since it's perfect in the fairy garden! We had an old telephone pole insulator that I added too, I think it looks like a giant toadstool...

since I used  bee super to make the fairy garden in, I added this little gnome with a bee skep, so cute! 
of course, you can't have a fairy garden without glitter!

and there it is, a fairy garden! Lots of fun to make and very charming! 
and then we come to the stump that Giant hauled home a few weeks ago... 
and here's a really crazy thing...Giant is in my (very messy) craft room-what in the world?

What could Giant be doing? He's got craft sticks and paint and hot glue, ohmy!

and now moss? what is he doing?

He's made a little gnome home! How cute! The doorway is made out of craft sticks with some twigs he found in the yard...He added some moss and birds nest...

and planted some sedum in the broken top part of the log...

a little pea-gravel pathway leads to the gnome home...

so so adorable!

and a little fairy light over the top so the gnomes can find their way home in the dark! So those are our two latest little garden projects-happy gardening, and happytrails!

No comments: