Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why Can't You All Just Get Along Fowl Doings

In our last installment, the two wild bantam roosters had been caught and transferred to a small cage inside the Chicken Little's run, in hopes that everyone could get used to each other and be able to get along...

After about a day, I opened the wild roosters cage, and let them come out at their own pace...

Doesn't it look like they're saying "I'm not chicken, are you?" LOLOL!

So the wild bantam roosters came out of their cage, and everything looked like it was going all right...

for a second, and then Ozzie laid into them. As I've said, they're really fast, so they can run away and don't sustain any actual injuries...

but every time they try to leave this little corner of the run Ozzie attacks them again...sometimes he comes over and attacks them in their little corner. I kept hoping it would stop on its own, but after several days, I'm guessing it's not going to. The poor little guys don't get to go inside to sleep or get out of the rain...sigh...I'm gonna have to move chickens around again!

This is the wild bantam hen and her 3 chicks I caught earlier this month-the chicks are so funny looking, they have the longest wings in relation to their bodies, their wings stick out way past their little butts, so funny and cute!

This Mama and her 3 babies are still fitting into the temporary run, but I have to move them into the Chicken Little's run, so that Broody Two and her six chicks can move in-they're still living in the dog kennel where they've been for almost a week, so they need to move into the  temporary run...
 
so I try my theory again-I put Mama and the 3 chicks into their kennel, and put that inside the Chicken Little run for a day, and let everyone get used to each other...

Ozzie gets a good look at the new hen!

Everyone seems calm and relaxed, so I let mama and the 3 chicks out...
so far, so good...fingers x'd!
 
Now we have to get Broody Two and her six chicks out of the kennel in the mud room, and into the temporary run in the garden...

Giant reaches in, gets a hold of B2...but she eludes him! I was afraid she was going to kill herself flying into the window, but Giant caught her without injury...to either one of them lol! In the meantime, I'm trying to catch chicks-I get 4 of them, but 2 get away. Giant catches one of the chicks and we make a bee-line for the temporary run. We get B2 and the 5 babies into the run, then go back into the mud-room to look for #6. We have a lot of stuff stored in there, and I was afraid we'd never find one tiny little chick in there...

But we did, thank goodness! So now B2 and chicks are safely in the temporary run...

It takes a little while, but everyone eventually settles down and all is well...or so I thought.
In the Chicken Little run, Ozzie and Archimedes have turned mean-they are picking at the little chicks and everyone is in chaos. One of the chicks was injured, and we tried to save it, but it was too late :( I'm panicked and don't know what to do, then it occurs to me-I let Ozzie and Archimedes out of the run, locked B2 and her 6 in their kennel, and put them in the Chicken Little's run. So now the 2 Mama Chickens, their babies and the wild roosters are living together, and everyone is now getting along great! The only peep-le that aren't happy are Ozzie and Archimedes. Ordinarily they have the run of the whole garden, but all the chickens have to confined for the next few weeks so they don't eat all the seedlings, so Ozzie and Archimedes are now living in the tiny temporary run-but that's what they get for being mean! Whew, I wish wrangling chickens paid by the hour instead of by the egg carton; I'd make a lot more money lol! Until next time, happytrails!
 
 

No comments: