Friday, March 01, 2013

Normal Chicken Feet Are Weird, Abnormal One's Are ReallyFreaky Fowl Doings

Well, I guess we should start with the bad news...my favorite little bantam hen Broody is missing...I haven't seem her in over a week, and even when she's off somewhere brooding, which she shouldn't even be doing this time of year, she always comes running when I come into the barn. I'm very bummed and miss her crazy running and clucking to come see me....

the good news is, her last clutch of chix are almost all grown up now and very cute...the 2 little roosters are especially adorable!
The male pheasant is as gorgeous and as weird as ever...
You'd have to see him in real life to appreciate how bizarre his behavior is...
I swear he really believes that he's invisible when he's on this perch...again you've gotta see it for yourself, but take my word for it, it's hilarious!








After a little mid-winter slump, the Americana's have started laying pretty good again. In a few weeks, I'll give them all a dose of chicken wormer and see if that amps up production...

Calamity the chicken had to be caught again last week because she had twine from the chicken feed bag wrapped around her leg again...
Every time I have to mess with her, I'm amazed all over again at what freakish feet she has...even for a chicken lol! Check out that spur on her right foot-as a hen she shouldn't have a spur at all, and even roosters don't usually have spurs that big...and check out that middle toe on her left foot-not only is it freakishly long, it's also an extra toe...
Maybe the extraneous spur and toe are why she always gets stuff wrapped around her legs!
fah-reeek-eee!
My New Hampshire Reds, although really good layers, are super mean-I went down to feed the other day, and this poor hen was huddled in the corner of the coop-at first I thought she was laying an egg, but when I looked at her closer, I saw she had a huge hole pecked into her side. The NH Reds seem to dislike new-comers, last summer they picked 2 pullets to death that I was trying to introduce to the flock-but the same group has been together for months in there. I don't know if she got a little injury that they were picking at or what, but I put her in a dog kennel and put her in the mud-room to try to help her heal up. Fingers x-ed that she makes it!
I really can't tell you why, maybe because I spend the vast majority of my time around animals instead of humans, but this series of pix I took of the Americana's and the male pheasant on the roost in their coop totally crack me up...
So it starts out with the male pheasant, a hen, a rooster and a hen...the hen on the end is getting ready to bail...









So then it's pheasant, hen, rooster...











the last hen decides to bail too...












and it's just two males left, showing off how handsome they are...to no-one lol! Until next time...happytrails!

No comments: