Thursday, July 26, 2012

All Natural Home-Made Body Wash

After making the liquid hand soap, I started searching for recipes for body wash...turns out, they're basically the same thing! I guess when the ingredients are so basic and pure, you can pretty much use the same recipe!
The cast of characters are distilled water, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, honey, castille soap and essential oils...

Grate your bar of soap...you can use your regular food grater if you're really careful to wash all the soap out after, I have an old grater that belonged to Giants grandmother; it's a little rusty, so I just use that so I don't have to worry about getting all the soap out...

So basic recipe-1/2 gallon of distilled water, 1 grated bar of Dr. Bonners soap, one Tbsp each of honey, coconut oil and glycerine, 1 tsp each Vit E and citric acid and your choice of essential oils-just mix and add drops until it smells yummy to you!

Dump everything together in a large stock pot and heat over medium heat...

stirring occasionally until everything melts together and turn off the heat.
I had great luck by letting my hand soap sit for 48 hours, but when I made this soap, I got distracted and let the soap come to a boil, and the texture was just off on this batch-a little runny on the bottom with a weird whip creamy stuff on the top...

so I stirred it all up with my inversion blender. That made the texture way better, but it was still a little runny, so I added another tablespoon of glycerin, and...

it went right back to the perfect texture! Note, these soaps do tend to separate a little, so just give it a good shake before you use it. And a note on suds-these soaps don't make a lot of lather or suds, but this is just a texture issue. Remember that all that stuff that makes lather and suds is all chemical additives and not good for you! Just like the hand soap, this soap leaves you silky soft, is all natural and super inexpensive...LOVE LOVE LOVE! Happy Soaping and happytrails!

No comments: